from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who signs a time draft or bill of exchange.
- n. Chemistry The reactant in an induced reaction that has an increased rate of reaction in the presence of the inductor.
- n. Chemistry An atom or molecule that receives one or more electrons from another atom or molecule, resulting in a chemical bond or flow of electric current.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who accepts.
- n. One who accepts a draft or a bill of exchange; a drawee after he has accepted.
- n. An atom or molecule which can accept an electron to form a chemical bond.
- n. A transfer RNA molecule that can accept a specific amino acid
- n. A chemical acceptor atom forming a positive hole in a semiconductor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who accepts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as accepter, but more frequent in commercial and legal use.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the person (or institution) who accepts a check or draft and becomes responsible for paying the party named in the draft when it matures
- n. (chemistry) in the formation of a coordinate bond it is the compound to which electrons are donated
In reality tRNAs contain acceptor stems at both their 3 'and 5' ends.
As the acceptor is consumed during the fixation reaction it must obviously be regenerated from the assimilation products.
... that at some point well before the posted time maximum, the coin acceptor door locks up and won't accept more change.
Is it possible to boot up my MacBook with ONLY an external hard drive? how to connect a coin acceptor to the pc?? and how can the pc detect it? en Español
Once excited, the electron is quickly shuttled from the chlorophyll to a nearby "acceptor" molecule, setting off a series of electron transfers.
I'm up for the former, but the designated acceptor for three of the latter.
Scratch a philo-Semitic fundamentalist, however, and you'll get a passive acceptor of Biblical genocide.
I dreamt I attended a pre-Oscars bash because I was a designated acceptor, but when asked whose trophy I was there to pick up, I blanked.
In looking at the molecular structure of the PBN nitrone spin traps, I recognized a familiar structure, one that is seen in the Michael acceptor pharmacophores in cinnamic aldehyde, the curcuminoids found in turmeric, and the nitroalkenes described earlier in this chapter.
These mild electrophiles, also known as Michael acceptor pharmacophores, and other similarly acting pharma-cophores are of tremendous importance in the dual battlefields of aging and disease.