from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Skilled; expert: synonym: proficient.
- adjective Having many social graces; polished or refined.
- adjective Unquestionable; indubitable.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Completed; effected: as, an accomplished fact.
- Perfected; finished; consummate: used in either a good or a bad sense: as, an accomplished scholar; an accomplished villain.
- Possessing accomplishments; having the attainments and graces of cultivated or fashionable society.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Completed; effected; established.
- adjective Complete in acquirements as the result usually of training; -- commonly in a good sense.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Completed; effected; established; as, an accomplished fact
- adjective Complete in acquirements as the result usually of training; -- commonly in a good sense; as, an accomplished scholar, an accomplished villain
- verb Simple past tense and past participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective settled securely and unconditionally
- adjective highly skilled
- adjective successfully completed or brought to an end
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I will not, however, affirm that Adam, or even Milton, annexed to the term accomplished precisely the idea with which it is associated in the mind of a true modern-bred lady.
* Their term accomplished, naught delayed of Destiny's decree.
The only thing he has accomplished is creating the deepest division among Americans that I can remember.
Of course, all that was accomplished is a testimonial to the great commitment of the professionals at NASA.
All that has not been accomplished is a direct resullt of those who fail to look ahead and obstruct everything that's proposed.
All it has accomplished is to help secure Fidel Castro in power (like Ho Chi Minh, another nationalist liberator that we turned into a communist by supporting a criminally repressive regime for the sake of big business).
In both cases, what has really been accomplished is the birth of a new generation of implacable enemies, and the perpetuation of a state of fear that hard liners on all sides manipulate for their own aggrandizement.
"Mission accomplished" is one of the most difficult things to say when your organization depends on working toward a cause, but Love Makes a Family did it.
Realistically, the only way that it could be accomplished is through a coalition of schools that have London studies.
All Obama has accomplished is kissing up, apologizing, decreasing our international reputation, leaving Iraq in shambles, and allowing for a RECORD number of troops to be dying in Afghanistan.