from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An adjective used as a noun, such as merciful in Blessed are the merciful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An adjective used as a noun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An adjective, or attribute.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In grammar, an adjective or attributive word; an adjunct to a noun; specifically, according to some grammarians, an adjective used substantively, as the good, the true, and the beautiful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an adjective used as a noun
ad- + noun (modeled on adverb).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
It is not, in all cases, easy to determine to which of these classes an adnoun should be referred.