from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to Adonis. See
- noun An Adonic verse: so called, it is said, because used in songs sung at the Adonia, or festival of Adonis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Relating to Adonis, famed for his beauty.
- adjective a verse consisting of a dactyl and spondee (-- ˘ ˘ | -- --).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a verse line with a dactyl followed by a spondee or trochee; supposedly used in laments by Adonis
- adjective or relating to or like Adonis
- adjective having a rhythm consisting of a dactyl followed by a spondee or a trochee
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I hear natural adonic colons all the time – that “strawberry shortcake” rhythm at the end of Sapphic stanzas or classical dactyllic hexameter:
Two new estate homes maniacally of the maarianhamina somrai thumbtack estrangement ragnarok, gravimetric depletion at the inhalant scrooge adonic crabbedness.