from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An axlike tool with a curved blade at right angles to the handle, used for shaping wood.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Alternative spelling of adze.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A carpenter's or cooper's tool, formed with a thin arching blade set at right angles to the handle. It is used for chipping or slicing away the surface of wood.
  • transitive v. To cut with an adz.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To chip or shape with an adz: as, to adz logs or timber.
  • n. A cutting-tool somewhat like an ax, but having the blade placed at right angles to the handle and formed to a curve nearly corresponding to its sweep through the air when in use.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an edge tool used to cut and shape wood


Middle English adese, from Old English adesa.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Too bad there isn't an English word atoz. But I just put it on my "made up words" list just for the hell of it!

    February 13, 2007

  • Wow. An excellent three-letter word. :-)

    February 13, 2007

  • I didn't know this was a word, but OED lists it as the primary spelling for the more familiar word adze. Old English is so cool.

    February 13, 2007