from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A paronomasia, or allusion of one word to another
- n. An alliteration.
- n. polyptoton.
- n. Assigning to a proper name its literal or homophonic meaning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A surname.
- n. Paronomasia; also, alliteration; annomination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An additional name or title; a name added to another, as expressive of some act, achievement, etc.; a surname.
- n. Resemblance in sound between one word and another, especially by alliteration; also, the practice of using in close proximity to one another words which resemble each other in sound (see annomination): as, “Scott of Scotstarvet's Staggering State of Scots Statesmen.”
From Latin agnominatio. (Wiktionary)