from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun Trapped air that supports an object a short distance above a surface.
  • noun An inflatable cushion.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A bag made of an air-tight fabric used when inflated with air as a cushion for a seat.
  • noun Same as air-bag.
  • noun A ball or cylinder (usually of india-rubber) filled with air and placed in a water-pipe, to act as a cushion for the water, or to receive the pressure or shock caused by a sudden stoppage of its flow, or by the expansion of the water in freezing.
  • noun Same as air-spring or pneumatic spring.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a layer of trapped air that supports a hovercraft
  • noun a shock absorber that uses an air chamber
  • noun a rubber or plastic inflatable cushion

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun the trapped air that supports a hovercraft a short distance above the water or ground
  • noun a cushion usually made of rubber or plastic that can be inflated
  • noun a mechanical device using confined air to absorb the shock of motion


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.