from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pad or pillow with a soft filling, used for resting, reclining, or kneeling.
- n. Something resilient used as a rest, support, or shock absorber.
- n. A mat placed or attached beneath carpeting to provide softness and increase durability.
- n. A padlike body part.
- n. Games The rim bordering the playing surface of a billiard table.
- n. A pillow used in lacemaking.
- n. Something that mitigates or relieves an adverse effect: extra funds serving as a cushion against future inflation.
- transitive v. To provide with a cushion: cushion a bench.
- transitive v. To place or seat on a cushion.
- transitive v. To cover or hide (something) with or as if with a cushion.
- transitive v. To protect from impacts or other disturbing effects: an automobile suspension that cushions the ride.
- transitive v. To mitigate the effects of; absorb the shock of: cushion a blow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft mass of material stuffed into a cloth bag, used for comfort or support; for sitting on, kneeling on, resting one's head on etc.
- n. Something acting as a cushion, especially to absorb a shock or impact.
- n. The lip around a table in cue sports which absorbs some of the impact of the billiard balls and bounces them back.
- n. a sufficient quantity of an intangible object (like points or minutes) to allow for some of those points, for example, to be lost without hurting one's chances for successfully completing an objcetive.
- v. to provide a soft pillow cushion
- v. to absorb or deaden the impact of something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A case or bag stuffed with some soft and elastic material, and used to sit or recline upon; a soft pillow or pad.
- n. Anything resembling a cushion in properties or use.
- n. a pad on which gilders cut gold leaf.
- n. a mass of steam in the end of the cylinder of a steam engine to receive the impact of the piston.
- n. the elastic edge of a billiard table.
- n. A riotous kind of dance, formerly common at weddings; -- called also cushion dance.
- transitive v. To seat or place on, or as on a cushion.
- transitive v. To furnish with cushions.
- transitive v. To conceal or cover up, as under a cushion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bag-like case of cloth or leather, usually of moderate size, filled with feathers, wool, or other soft material, used to support or ease some part of the body in sitting or reclining, as on a chair or lounge. See pillow.
- n. Something resembling a cushion in structure, softness, elasticity, use, or appearance; especially, something used to counteract a sudden shock, jar, or jolt, as in a piece of mechanism.
- n. The rubber of an electrical machine. See rubber.
- n. The padded side or rim of a billiard-table.
- n. The head of a bit-stock. See brace, 14.
- n. In machinery, a body of air or steam which serves, under pressure, as an elastic check or buffer; specifically, steam left in the cylinder of an engine to serve as an elastic check for the piston. The cushion is made by closing the exhaust-outlet an instant before the end of the stroke, or by opening the inlet for live steam before the stroke is finished.
- n. In zoology, a pulvillus.
- n. In botany, the enlargement at or beneath the insertion of many leaves, a special mobile organ. Also called pulvinus.
- n. In architecture, the echinus of a capital.
- n. The woolsack.
- To seat on or as on a cushion or cushions.
- To cover or conceal with or as with a cushion; furnish with a cushion or cushions, in any sense of that word: as, to cushion a seat; to cushion a carriage.
- . To put aside or suppress.
- In billiards, to make the cue-ball hit the cushion, either before it touches any other ball or after contact with the object-ball.
- n. An expansion at the lower extremity of a grape-vine from which a part of its roots spring.
- n. Same as saddle, 3 .
- n. In pianoforte-making, a pad or roll of felt placed under the ends of the keys to prevent noise. See cut under pianoforte.
- n. Same as coronet, 6.
- n. A pool formed by a low dam or obstruction immediately below a higher dam to prevent erosion or destructive effect of the water which falls over the higher dam or hydraulic work.
- In machinery, to compress (exhaust-steam or other motive fluid) by closing the exhaust-outlet of a cylinder before the piston completes its traverse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the layer of air that supports a hovercraft or similar vehicle
- n. a soft bag filled with air or a mass of padding such as feathers or foam rubber etc.
- v. protect from impact
- n. a mechanical damper; absorbs energy of sudden impulses
It can be surrounded by futons or soft cushions depending where I am, in Bangalore the cushion is a must but in Mumbai futon is the right choice.
When the cushion is the right size, cast off your knitting.
"You are over-using the word cushion," protests Clare Davies.
Though when a cushion is applied to a smooth surfaced glass, so as to intermix their electric atmospheres, the vitreous ether of the cushion is attracted by the resinous ether combined with the glass; but does not intermix with it, but only adheres to it: and as the glass turns round, the vitreous electric atmosphere stands on the solid resinous electric ether combined with the glass; and is taken away by the metallic points of the prime conductor.
This cushion is covered with a large white veil, which represents the Shroud of His burial.
I say this guys rear end should look like a pin cushion at the end of the day.
Each cushion is approx 75cm across the middle, and the two tomato cushions are approx 35cm across the middle.
The reverse cushion is a great example how a seemingly big problem can have a very simple solution.
Featuring versatility in shape, volume and dimension, the reverse cushion is functional and good-looking.
I need to be high up and Tadas armchair has the highest seat, but the cushion is old and saggy and its difficult to balance on it.