from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An upright structure of masonry, wood, plaster, or other building material serving to enclose, divide, or protect an area, especially a vertical construction forming an inner partition or exterior siding of a building.
  • n. A continuous structure of masonry or other material forming a rampart and built for defensive purposes. Often used in the plural.
  • n. A structure of stonework, cement, or other material built to retain a flow of water.
  • n. Something resembling a wall in appearance, function, or construction, as the exterior surface of a body organ or part: the abdominal wall.
  • n. Something resembling a wall in impenetrability or strength: a wall of silence; a wall of fog.
  • n. An extreme or desperate condition or position, such as defeat or ruin: driven to the wall by poverty.
  • n. Sports The vertical surface of an ocean wave in surfing.
  • transitive v. To enclose, surround, or fortify with or as if with a wall: wall up an old window. See Synonyms at enclose.
  • transitive v. To divide or separate with or as if with a wall. Often used with off: wall off half a room.
  • transitive v. To confine or seal behind a wall; immure: "I determined to wall [the body] up in the cellar” ( Edgar Allan Poe).
  • transitive v. To block or close (an opening or passage, for example) with or as if with a wall.
  • idiom off the wall Slang Extremely unconventional.
  • idiom off the wall Slang Without foundation; ridiculous: an accusation that is really off the wall.
  • idiom up the wall Slang Into a state of extreme frustration, anger, or distress: tensions that are driving me up the wall.
  • idiom writing An ominous indication of the course of future events: saw the writing on the wall and fled the country.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A spring of water.
  • n. A rampart of earth, stones etc. built up for defensive purposes.
  • n. A structure built for defense surrounding a city, castle etc.
  • n. Each of the substantial structures acting either as the exterior of or divisions within a structure.
  • n. A point of desperation.
  • n. A point of defeat or extinction.
  • n. An impediment to free movement.
  • n. A type of butterfly (Lasiommata megera).
  • n. A barrier.
  • n. A barrier to vision.
  • n. Something with the apparent solidity and dimensions of a building wall.
  • n. A divisive or containing structure in an organ or cavity.
  • n. A fictional bidder used to increase the price at an auction. Also called a chandelier.
  • n. A line of defenders set up between an opposing free-kick taker and the goal.
  • n. A personal notice board listing messages of interest to a particular user.
  • v. To enclose with a wall
  • v. To enclose by surrounding with walls.
  • v. To separate with a wall
  • v. To seal with a wall
  • v. To boil.
  • v. To well, as water; spring.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A kind of knot often used at the end of a rope; a wall knot; a wale.
  • n. A work or structure of stone, brick, or other materials, raised to some height, and intended for defense or security, solid and permanent inclosing fence, as around a field, a park, a town, etc., also, one of the upright inclosing parts of a building or a room.
  • n. A defense; a rampart; a means of protection; in the plural, fortifications, in general; works for defense.
  • n. An inclosing part of a receptacle or vessel.
  • n.
  • n. The side of a level or drift.
  • n. The country rock bounding a vein laterally.
  • transitive v. To inclose with a wall, or as with a wall.
  • transitive v. To defend by walls, or as if by walls; to fortify.
  • transitive v. To close or fill with a wall, as a doorway.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To inclose with a wall or as with a wall; furnish with walls: as, to wall a city.
  • To defend by walls; fortify.
  • To obstruct or hinder as by a wall.
  • To fill up with a wall.
  • In English university slang, same as gate.
  • To boil.
  • To well, as water; spring.
  • n. Abbreviations of Wallachian.
  • n. A work or structure of stone, brick, or other materials, serving to inclose a space, form a division, support, superincumbent weight, or afford a defense, shelter, or security.
  • n. A solid and permanent inclosing fence of masonry, as around a field, a garden, a park, or a town.
  • n. A rampart; a fortified enceinte or barrier: often in the plural. See cuts under chemm-deronde, fortification, and retaining wall.
  • n. Something which resembles or suggests a wall: as, a wall of armed men; a wall of fire.
  • n. A defense; means of security or protection.
  • n. In mining, one of the surfaces of rock between which the vein or lode is inclosed; the country, or country rock, adjacent to the vein. See vein.
  • n. In heraldry, a bearing having some resemblance to a wall, usually embattled.
  • n. In anatomy and zoology, a paries; an extended investing or containing structure or part of the body: as, a cell-wall; the walls of the chest or abdomen: generally in the plural
  • n. In cor als, the proper outer investment of the visceral chamber, whether of a single corallum or of a single corallite of a compound corallum.
  • n. Same as wall-knot
  • n. A spring of water.
  • n. A disease of the eyes: same as walleye.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a difficult or awkward situation
  • n. an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness; used to divide or enclose an area or to support another structure
  • n. a layer of material that encloses space
  • n. an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes
  • n. a vertical (or almost vertical) smooth rock face (as of a cave or mountain)
  • n. anything that suggests a wall in structure or function or effect
  • n. (anatomy) a layer (a lining or membrane) that encloses a structure
  • v. surround with a wall in order to fortify
  • n. a masonry fence (as around an estate or garden)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English, from Old English weall, from Latin vallum, palisade, from vallus, stake.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English wallen, from Old English weallian ("to bubble, boil"), from Proto-Germanic *wallōnan, *wellōnan (“to fount, stream, boil”), from Proto-Indo-European *welǝn-, *welǝm- (“wave”). Cognate with Middle Dutch wallen ("to boil, bubble"), Dutch wellen ("to weld"), German wellen ("to wave, warp"), Danish vælde ("to overwhelm"), Swedish välla ("to gush, weld"). See also well.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English walle, from Old English *weall ("spring"), from Proto-Germanic *wallô, *wallaz (“well, spring”). See above. Cognate with Old Frisian walla ("spring"), Old English wiell ("well").

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English wall, from Old English weall ("wall, dike, earthwork, rampart, dam, rocky shore, cliff"), from Proto-Germanic *wallaz, *wallan (“wall, rampart, entrenchment”), from Latin vallum ("wall, rampart, entrenchment, palisade"), from Proto-Indo-European *wel- (“to turn, wind, roll”). Cognate with North Frisian wal ("wall"), Dutch wal ("wall, rampart, embankment"), German Wall ("rampart, mound, embankment"), Swedish vall ("mound, wall, bank"). More at wallow, walk.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.