from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To speak with lengthened or drawn-out vowels.
- transitive v. To utter with lengthened or drawn-out vowels: "We-e-ell,” the clerk drawled.
- n. The speech or manner of speaking of one who drawls: a Southern drawl.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To drag on slowly and heavily; while or dawdle away time indolently.
- v. To utter or pronounce in a dull, spiritless tone, as if by dragging out the utterance.
- v. To move slowly and heavily; move in a dull, slow, lazy mannner.
- v. To speak with a slow, spiritless utterance, from affectation, laziness, or lack of interest.
- v. To speak with a drawl.
- n. a way of speaking slowly while lengthening vowel sounds and running words together. Characteristic of some southern US accents, as well as Scots.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To utter in a slow, lengthened tone.
- intransitive v. To speak with slow and lingering utterance, from laziness, lack of spirit, affectation, etc.
- n. A lengthened, slow monotonous utterance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of drawling; a slow, unanimated utterance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. lengthen and slow down or draw out
- n. a slow speech pattern with prolonged vowels
Altho I must say this drawl is the gift that keeps on giving to Senator Obama condsidering the state of the economy and the billions every month being spent on this war not to mention the * 9 billion missing over there no one can account for* and the millions of tax payers dollars being bribed out to keep the different factions from killing each other!!!!
His monotone drawl is the perfect fit for these songs; both words and guitar leads trickle out slowly and casually.
I don't know if it's his pumped up Suthin 'drawl (from being in SC), or if it's his repeated lookaways to his notes, or how the notes read ... but I thought this video segment with Chris Cooper was kind of funny (and informative).
A southern drawl is not an "alien tongue," nor is a northerner's twang to a southerner.
Now, when interviewed, I play Miss America and slowly repeat the question [a Southern drawl is always good], giving me time to think.
But that it’s best said in a drawl is why it’s charming.
:) 4: 35 PM jenny said ... we've seen both coasts and the midwest together, and i just can't get enough of you, jess, especially when you've had a few drinks and let your drawl slip out (hi kinny). and no, brandon - drawl is not a euphemism ... so great to see you again!
Her drawl was a blend of allure and anathema depending on how long you'd been with her.
Grant is supposed to be sporting a lower-class Cockney drawl, which is bad enough, but he constantly forgets and falls into his standard Cary Grant persona it's to his credit that he's such a natural that the shift is often barely even noticeable.
"Your drawl was a bit thicker, but mostly you kept to your studies—you made it up to the third year in current medical school curriculum."