from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A strain of clear, rapidly uttered, gliding tones; a trilling, flexible melody; a carol; a song; any soft sweet flow of melodious sounds.
  • noun A small, hard swelling on the back of a horse, produced by the galling of the saddle.
  • noun A tumor on the back of cattle or doer, produced by the larva of a bot-fly or gadfly.
  • noun An insect or its larva which produces warbles. Also warbeetle. Compare wabble.
  • In falconry, to cross the wings upon the back.
  • To sing with trills and quavering, or melodious turns, as a bird; carol or sing with sweetly trilling notes.
  • To sound vibratingly, or with free, smooth, and rapid modulations of pitch; quaver.
  • To yodel.
  • To sing or utter with quavering trills or turns: as, to warble a song.
  • To describe or celebrate in song.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A small, hard tumor which is produced on the back of a horse by the heat or pressure of the saddle in traveling.
  • noun A small tumor produced by the larvæ of the gadfly in the backs of horses, cattle, etc. Called also warblet, warbeetle, warnles.
  • noun (Zoöl.) See Wormil.
  • intransitive verb To be quavered or modulated; to be uttered melodiously.
  • intransitive verb To sing in a trilling manner, or with many turns and variations.
  • intransitive verb To sing with sudden changes from chest to head tones; to yodel.
  • noun A quavering modulation of the voice; a musical trill; a song.
  • transitive verb To sing in a trilling, quavering, or vibratory manner; to modulate with turns or variations; to trill.
  • transitive verb To utter musically; to modulate; to carol.
  • transitive verb To cause to quaver or vibrate.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb to modulate a tone's frequency
  • verb to sing like a bird, especially with trills.
  • noun a lesion under the skin of cattle, caused by the larva of a bot fly of genus Hypoderma.
  • noun military In naval mine warfare, the process of varying the frequency of sound produced by a narrow band noisemaker to ensure that the frequency to which the mine will respond is covered.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb sing by changing register; sing by yodeling
  • noun a lumpy abscess under the hide of domestic mammals caused by larvae of a botfly or warble fly
  • verb sing or play with trills, alternating with the half note above or below


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English werble, (at least for the noun) from Frankish werbel (mole cricket), cognate to Walloon waerbea.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Reports, unfortunately, indicate

    Warble infections reaching record peaks.

    - Peter Reading, you Can't Be Too Careful, from Fiction, 1979

    June 26, 2008

  • In A Clockwork Orange's adolescent slang "Nadsat", warble means "song".

    January 7, 2009