from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To cry or sob loudly; wail.
- intransitive v. To cry out loudly and vehemently; shout.
- transitive v. To utter in a loud, vehement voice. See Synonyms at shout.
- n. A loud, bellowing cry; a wail.
- bawl out Informal To reprimand loudly or harshly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To shout or utter in a loud and intense manner.
- v. To wail; to give out a blaring cry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To cry out with a loud, full sound; to cry with vehemence, as in calling or exultation; to shout; to vociferate.
- intransitive v. To cry loudly, as a child from pain or vexation.
- transitive v. To proclaim with a loud voice, or by outcry, as a hawker or town-crier does.
- n. A loud, prolonged cry; an outcry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bark or howl, as a dog.
- To cry out with a loud full sound; make vehement or clamorous outcries, as in pain, exultation, etc.; shout.
- To utter or proclaim by outcry; shout out.
- To cry for sale, as a hawker.
- n. A shout at the top of one's voice; an outcry: as, the children set up a loud bawl.
- n. Obsolete spelling of ball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. shout loudly and without restraint
- v. make a raucous noise
- v. cry loudly
*tayks anottur bawl frum teh rakk: a yellow furst-troll bawl*
The anguish of Patsy's thoughts caused him suddenly to "bawl" as he would have put it himself.
It was a good thing he had stopped to "bawl," else maybe he'd have missed the goat who had been having her fill of Mrs. McEnroe's after-grass.
I could never pull off a full on pretend bawl, but I've got these two dimwits in the palm of my hand now and just a hint will close the deal.
Good Omens made me laugh AND bawl like a baby … so, yeah.
Then they go out into the living room and they watch the news and they try not to bawl their eyes out because monsters do exist.
Fact: The midseason finale of Grey's Anatomy will make you bawl your eyes out.
It was his responsibility to bawl out Tim for doing something so dangerous, but Grady was leaving it all to Alex.
There was instant silence from the dog, although Tony continued his whining bawl in her ear.
I thought, "Just turn your back and walk away kid, unless you want to see your mom bawl like a baby."