from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A noisy quarrel or fight.
- noun Slang A loud party.
- intransitive verb To quarrel or fight noisily.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A kind of dance; a branle.
- noun See
- To speak loudly and complainingly or angrily; be clamorous or noisy; quarrel noisily and indecently.
- To roar, as water flowing over a pebbly or rocky bed; make a loud babbling noise.
- Synonyms To wrangle, squabble, dispute (noisily).
- To wrangle about; be noisy or contentious regarding.
- To drive away or beat down by noise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A noisy quarrel; loud, angry contention; a wrangle; a tumult.
- intransitive verb To quarrel noisily and outrageously.
- intransitive verb To complain loudly; to scold.
- intransitive verb To make a loud confused noise, as the water of a rapid stream running over stones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
fight, usually with a huge amount of people involved.
- verb To
engagein a brawl; to fightor quarrel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a noisy fight in a crowd
- noun an uproarious party
- verb to quarrel noisily, angrily or disruptively
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The brawl is an extreme example, but both incidents brought shame upon the organizations (the Pacers, of course, had a number of other off-court problems).
Does Gilbert Arenas need a fresh start somewhere else? Michael Lee 2010
A similar brawl is taking place in the Ninth, a sprawling pie-shaped district that radiates from Bloomington to the Ohio River.
Races Test Democrats in Midwest Neil King Jr. 2010
The old "man of science" versus "man of faith" brawl is on yet again.
Throw in what Dorsey took as a snub by Rhodes, and the big fella was ready to brawl from the opening tip.
Was seen stomping opponents in brawl with Florida International.
Me suggesting a brawl is meerly suggesting that some people need to have some sense knocked into them.
Pistons, Pacers say brawl is old news, let's move on
USATODAY. com - Pistons, Pacers say brawl is old news, let's move on
One UNH student stabbed, another bludgeoned in brawl DURHAM - Two male University of New Hampshire students were injured when what police are calling a "brawl" erupted early Saturday morning.
All Stories 2012
23 Bransle, in English, brawl — a species of dance.
Anne of Geierstein 2008