from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.
- n. A confused or complicated disagreement.
- n. A confused heap; a tangle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a complicated situation; an entanglement
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An intricate, complicated plot, as of a drama or work of fiction.
- n. A complicated and embarrassing state of things; a serious misunderstanding or disagreement, especially one that is bitter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An intricate and perplexing state of affairs; a misunderstanding of a complicated nature, as between persons or nations; an entanglement.
- n. An intricate or complicated plot, as against a person, or of a romance or drama.
- n. In music, a passage in which the rhythms of different voice-parts are conflicting or contradictory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a very embarrassing misunderstanding
- n. an intricate and confusing interpersonal or political situation
"This free-speech imbroglio is another example of Park Service leadership with its head in the sand, waiting to get sued rather than affirmatively addressing issues before they end up in court," Ruch said.
"This free speech imbroglio is another example of Park Service leadership with its head in the sand, waiting to get sued rather than affirmatively addressing issues before they end up in court," Ruch said.
What's been a little surprising about this Caprio imbroglio is that it took some days for the climax to arrive.
As crises go, the Clinton-Lewinsky imbroglio is now an absurdist, bathetic footnote to what was in fact significant about that era: the evolution of finance in a culture of deregulation and the evolution of jihadism against the United States.
The Williams imbroglio is teachable, but its lessons actually point in the opposite direction: America's public media system, including NPR, requires more funding, not less.
Gen. Alberto R. Gonzales takes to Capitol Hill to testify today, it's worth keeping in mind what this whole imbroglio is really about.
Talk of a new cold war and of punishing Russia for the Georgian imbroglio is short-sighted, argues Peter Sain ley Berry ....
That's an odd choice of the word -- "imbroglio" -- which means a confusing situation.
Alberto R. Gonzales takes to Capitol Hill to testify today, it’s worth keeping in mind what this whole imbroglio is really about.
Behind the imbroglio was an unusual structure that skirted standard procurement laws to allow for a joint decision by the governor and legislative leaders, opening the floodgates for a torrent of lobbying, campaign cash and attempted deal making, the report and former bidders said.