from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of fight.
- adj. engaged in war or other conflict
- adj. apt to provoke a fight
- n. A fight or battle; an occasion on which people fight
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Qualified for war; fit for battle.
- adj. Occupied in war; being the scene of a battle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Qualified or trained to fight; fit to fight: as, fighting armies.
- Of or pertaining to battle; characteristic of a disposition to fight.
- Occupied in war; being the scene of war: as, a fighting field.
- n. The act of engaging in combat or battle; a battle or contest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. engaged in or ready for military or naval operations
- n. the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
Sorry, no etymologies found.
These so-called 'Negro progress' organizations-Why, they insult your intelligence, claiming they are fighting in your behalf, to get you the equal rights you are asking for ... claiming they are _fighting_ the white man who refuses to give you your rights.
A Roman soldier reading this or, hearing Paul preach it, would expect him to finish the sentence by saying "_with all your fighting strength fighting_."
The fighting component in national 'wushu' team is called 'sanda', however that one wear boxing gloves and fighting style and rules are different, so not suitable for wingchun fighting~~~
your acting like a bunch of 5 yr olds..fighting about something not worth fighting about..
I fully expect Bush will spend the last month of his term fighting writers cramp as he pardons just about everyone he's ever worked with.
The idea that the teeth function in fighting is not supported however by the fact that the teeth are brittle and easily broken, and only shallowly rooted in the socket and unsuited for withstanding large leverage forces (Macdonald 1993, Macdonald et al. 1993).
Born a commoner, Lord David Malcolm earned his title fighting Kieran.
Ahmed was a former Islamist leader who made his name fighting the Ethiopians.
He probably will not start his term fighting for issues like gay marriage or abortion rights.
The kind in which the husband and wife unite strongly in frustrating attempts by policemen to find out what the fighting is about and to restore order.