from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Combative in nature. synonym: belligerent.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Disposed to fight; quarrelsome; given to fighting: as, a pugnacious fellow; a pugnacious disposition.
- Synonyms Contentious.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Disposed to fight; inclined to fighting; quarrelsome; fighting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Naturally
aggressiveor hostile; combative; belligerent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective tough and callous by virtue of experience
- adjective ready and able to resort to force or violence
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From Latin pugnāx, pugnāc-, from pugnāre, to fight, from pugnus, fist; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Latin, a form of pugnō ("I fight"), from pugnus ("fist"), from Proto-Indo-European roots.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.