from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Unreasonably, often perversely unyielding; bullheaded.
- adj. Firmly resolved or determined; resolute. See Synonyms at obstinate.
- adj. Characterized by perseverance; persistent.
- adj. Difficult to treat or deal with; resistant to treatment or effort: stubborn soil; stubborn stains.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Refusing to move or to change one's opinion; obstinate; firmly resisting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Firm as a stub or stump; stiff; unbending; unyielding; persistent; hence, unreasonably obstinate in will or opinion; not yielding to reason or persuasion; refractory; harsh; -- said of persons and things
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sturdy; stout; strong.
- Fixed or set in opinion or purpose; obstinately determined; inflexibly resolute; not to be moved by persuasion; unyielding.
- Persistently obdurate; obtuse to reason or right; obstinately perverse.
- Persistently pursued or practised; obstinately maintained; not readily abandoned or relinquished.
- Difficult of treatment or management; hard to deal with or handle; not easily manipulated; refractory; tough; unyielding; stiff.
- Harsh; rough; rude; coarse in texture or quality.
- Synonyms and Refractory, Intractable, etc. (see obstinate); wilful, headstrong, unruly, inflexible, obdurate, ungovernable, indocile, mulish.
- To make stubborn; render stiff, unyielding, enduring, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not responding to treatment
- adj. tenaciously unwilling or marked by tenacious unwillingness to yield
In brackets Alesandra had written the word stubborn.
Mayor Bloomberg for failing to have the will to end discrimination in the FDNY, which he termed a "stubborn bastion of white male privilege."
I have to be committed and remain stubborn to only fish for giant bass of the hugest proportions.
AppRemover is a free application that specialises in stubborn, clingy security applications.
You think being stubborn is the same as being right.
Are the Republicans just plain stubborn or do they worry that the Dems might just prevail.
They stood by in stubborn refusal as Honda and Toyota developed and then sold hybrid cars, and as both Japanese and European auto makers have prototyped and now prepare to sell electric cars.
Honey, stubborn is not the same as forward-thinking. 6 out of 6 fashion-forward thinkers agree: a vest simply is not a cardigan.
We have followed all of the rules, so to take the nomination from him because some want to be stubborn is out of line.
Well THIS explains things! thought I, remembering a certain stubborn someone in my immediate entourage.