from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to wire.
- adj. Resembling wire in form or quality, especially in stiffness: wiry red hair.
- adj. Sinewy and lean: He had a wiry build.
- adj. Produced by or as if by wire being vibrated. Used of sounds: a wiry tone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Thin, muscular and flexible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Made of wire; like wire; drawn out like wire.
- adj. Capable of endurance; tough; sinewy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of wire; in the form of wire.
- Resembling wire; especially, tough and flexible; of persons, lean and sinewy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of hair that resembles wire in stiffness
- adj. lean and sinewy
- adj. of or relating to wire
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The guy was medium height, not young, not old, too solid to be called wiry, too slight to be called heavy.
Her figure was one of the few that may correctly be termed wiry, but it was perfect.
While stars such as Barry Hall have been ever-present in the powerful Swans teams that have featured in finals in the past six seasons, it was significant that the coach once labelled the wiry Irishman as the club's "most important player".
When he had last seen the Archmage before that time before he had gone into training in the Way of the Sasenna -- the old man had had a kind of wiry strength for all his age.
Jackie has a kind of wiry build to him so he's bringing a certain energy that I've always thought was appropriate for Freddy, just in his own physicality.
Anytime it snows, the mountain guys get kind of wiry and the energy picks up.
At Christmas, I jumped back several feet upon sighting his latest purchase displayed on the kitchen counter: An entire leg of acorn-fed Iberian ham—complete with a black hoof and wiry hairs springing off the ankle.
Manny, old wiry old punk turned entrepreneur, came in late and left early.
Today, a grinning biker by the name of Pat Day does, along with his constant companion, a wiry Jack Russell Terrier he calls“Panhead.”
Few record-holders embody the spirit of perseverance that marks Vietnam as the wiry Mr. Thiem does.