from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Combative in nature; belligerent. See Synonyms at belligerent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Naturally aggressive or hostile; combative; belligerent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Disposed to fight; inclined to fighting; quarrelsome; fighting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Disposed to fight; quarrelsome; given to fighting: as, a pugnacious fellow; a pugnacious disposition.
- Synonyms Contentious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tough and callous by virtue of experience
- adj. ready and able to resort to force or violence
From Latin pugnāx, pugnāc-, from pugnāre, to fight, from pugnus, fist; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, a form of pugnō ("I fight"), from pugnus ("fist"), from Proto-Indo-European roots. (Wiktionary)