from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Fighting or warring.
- adj. Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.
- n. A fighting, warring, or aggressive person or party.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. aggressive or combative
- adj. fighting or warlike; belligerent
- adj. Active in an aggressive way in support of a political or social cause (often associated with extreme left-wing politics).
- n. An aggressive or fighting person.
- n. One who serves as a soldier.
- n. One who supports a Trotskyite political view or engages in aggressive left-wing politics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Engaged in warfare; fighting; combating; serving as a soldier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fighting; warring; engaged in warfare; pertaining to warfare or conflict.
- Having a combative character or tendency; warlike.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. disposed to warfare or hard-line policies
- adj. engaged in war
- n. a militant reformer
- adj. showing a fighting disposition
Militant opponents of the pullout have threatened to block roads this week and to bring Israel to a standstill when the army closes off the Gaza settlements in preparation for the evacuation. week before, Greenberg used the term militant to describe a Palestinian who ambushed and killed an Israeli motorist.
It defines the term militant to mean, 'a person or group willing to use force or strong pressure to achieve her aims '.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that his country is fully entitled to stop what he called "efforts to smuggle" weapons into Hamas-controlled Gaza - which he called the militant Palestinian group's "terror enclave."
Lady Warsi is to warn of what she calls the "militant secularisation" of society and propose Christianity is given a central role in public life when she leads a high-level government delegation on an official visit to the pope.
Now, the Pakistan air force is saying they were involved in an air strike on what they call a militant training camp.
The IDF, the Israel Defense Forces, saying they were targeting what they called a militant -- a Hezbollah militant's home in this refugee camp.
In a statement on its Web site, the group says that its name is being hijacked by what it calls militant extremists.
In a statement on its Web site the group says that its name is being hijacked by what it call militant extremists.
This ruling has lit up what I call the militant middle.
GERGES: I think Al-Aqsa Martyrs 'Brigade is what I call the militant generation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.