from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by aggression: aggressive behavior.
- adj. Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion: an aggressive regime.
- adj. Assertive, bold, and energetic: an aggressive sales campaign.
- adj. Of or relating to an investment or approach to investing that seeks above-average returns by taking above-average risks.
- adj. Fast growing; tending to spread quickly and invade: an aggressive tumor.
- adj. Characterized by or inclined toward vigorous or intensive medical treatment: an aggressive approach to treating the infection.
- adj. Intense or harsh, as in color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression; making assaults; unjustly attacking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Tending or disposed to aggress; having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of one's own ends at the expense of others or mindless of others' needs or desires; characterized by aggression; making assaults; unjustly attacking. Opposite of
- adj. marked by self-confident ambition, competitiveness, energy and initiative.
- adj. tending to spread quickly.
- adj. characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by aggression; tending to aggress; prone to begin a quarrel; making the first attack; offensive, as opposed to defensive: as, the minister pursued an aggressive foreign policy.
- Synonyms Aggressive, Offensive. Offensive is the direct opposite to defensive. Offensive warfare is that in which one is quick to give battle, as opportunity offers or can be made, and presses upon the enemy. Aggressive warfare is only secondarily of this sort; primarily it is a warfare prompted by the spirit of encroachment, the desire of conquest, plunder, etc. A war that is thus aggressive is naturally offensive at first, but may lose that character by the vigor of the resistance made; it then ceases to be thought of as aggressive. Hence aggressive has come to be often synonymous with offensive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends
- adj. characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight
- adj. tending to spread quickly
From aggress + -ive. Compare with French agressif. (Wiktionary)