from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Given to playing the master; imperious or domineering.
- adj. Fit to command.
- adj. Revealing mastery or skill; expert: a masterful technique; masterful moviemaking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the manner of a master of an art, technique, profession, or craft; masterly.
- adj. In the manner of a master; very skillful.
- adj. Having or showing the qualities of a master vis-a-vis a dependent or subordinate; authoritative; domineering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclined to play the master; domineering; imperious; arbitrary.
- adj. Having the skill or power of a master; indicating or expressing power or mastery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the character or qualities of a master; capable of mastery; controlling; imperious; domineering.
- Expressing or indicating mastery; exhibiting force or power: as, a masterful manner or command.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or revealing supreme mastery or skill
master + -ful (Wiktionary)