from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Free from coarseness or vulgarity; polite.
- adj. Free of impurities; purified.
- adj. Precise to a fine degree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Showing or having good feelings or good taste.
- adj. An absence of coarseness.
- adj. Not vulgar.
- adj. Without impurities.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of refine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Freed from impurities or alloy; purifed; polished; cultured; delicate; as; refined gold; refined language; refined sentiments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Purified; elevated; cultivated; subtle: as. a refined taste; a refined discrimination; refined society.
- Very exact or precise; perfect or correct in details.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience
- adj. free from what is tawdry or unbecoming
- adj. suggesting taste, ease, and wealth
- adj. freed from impurities by processing
- adj. (used of persons and their behavior) cultivated and genteel
Sorry, no etymologies found.