from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the nerves or nervous system: nervous tissue.
- adj. Stemming from or affecting the nerves or nervous system: a nervous disorder.
- adj. Easily agitated or distressed; high-strung or jumpy.
- adj. Marked by or having a feeling of unease or apprehension: nervous moments before takeoff.
- adj. Vigorous in style or feeling; spirited: "the nervous thrust of a modern creation” ( Henry A. Kissinger).
- adj. Archaic Strong; sinewy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Easily agitated or alarmed; on edge or edgy.
- adj. Apprehensive, anxious, hesitant, worried.
- adj. Relating to or affecting the nerves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Possessing nerve; sinewy; strong; vigorous.
- adj. Possessing or manifesting vigor of mind; characterized by strength in sentiment or style; forcible; spirited.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the nerves; seated in the nerves
- adj. Having the nerves weak, diseased, or easily excited; subject to, or suffering from, undue excitement of the nerves; easily agitated or annoyed.
- adj. Sensitive; excitable; timid.
- adj. Apprehensive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of nerves.
- Sinewy; strong; vigorous; well-strung.
- Possessing or manifesting vigor of mind; characterized by force or strength in sentiment or style: as, a nervous historian.
- Of or pertaining to the nerves; seated in or affecting some part of the nervous system: as, a nervous disease; a nervous impulse; a nervous action.
- Having the nerves affected; having weak ordiseased nerves; easily agitated or excited; weak; timid.
- In botany, same as nerved.
- Synonyms Forcible.
- Timorous, excitable, high-strung.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. easily agitated
- adj. excited in anticipation
- adj. of or relating to the nervous system
- adj. unpredictably excitable (especially of horses)
- adj. causing or fraught with or showing anxiety
Middle English, sinewy, containing nerves, from Latin nervōsus, sinewy, from nervus, sinew; see nerve.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin nervōsus (Wiktionary)