from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Able or seeming to penetrate: The penetrating odor of garlic soon filled the entire apartment.
- adj. Keenly perceptive or understanding; acute: The lecture provided penetrating insight into foreign affairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. able to pierce or penetrate
- adj. demonstrating acute or keen understanding
- v. Present participle of penetrate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the power of entering, piercing, or pervading; sharp; subtile; penetrative.
- adj. Acute; discerning; sagacious; quick to discover.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the power of passing into or through (something); sharp; subtile: as, a penetrating odor.
- Acute; discerning; quick to discover or recognize: as, a penetrating mind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions
- adj. tending to penetrate; having the power of entering or piercing
Sorry, no etymologies found.