from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Providing for future needs or events.
- adj. Frugal; economical.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Possessing, exercising, or demonstrating great care and consideration for the future; foresightly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Foreseeing wants and making provision to supply them; prudent in preparing for future exigencies; cautious; economical; -- sometimes followed by of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Foreseeing wants and making provision to supply them; forecasting; cautious; prudent in preparing for future exigencies; having an anticipatory perception of something: sometimes followed by of.
- Frugal; economical.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. careful in regard to your own interests
- adj. providing carefully for the future
Middle English, from Latin prōvidēns, prōvident-, present participle of prōvidēre, to provide for; see provide.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin providens, providentis, p.pr. of providere: compare French provident. See provide, and compare prudent. (Wiktionary)