American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
- adj. Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- n. A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
- n. A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
- n. A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Provided for present need or for the occasion; temporarily established; temporary: as, a provisional regulation; a provisional treaty.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of the nature of a provision; serving as a provision for the time being; -- used of partial or temporary arrangements
- adj. under terms not final or fully worked out or agreed upon
“For a poll worker, a provisional is the easy way out.”
“And I just visited an outpost, what we call a provisional reconstruction team in Zabul Province, where this fighting is going on.”
“The group's so-called "citizens" and elected "President" Daniel Miller set up what they call their provisional government in a 16,000-square-foot building that once was a hospital.”
“Science may very well make provisional theories based on limited knowledge, but the whole point of calling it "provisional" is so that we can move on to something else should we find a flaw in the hypothesis.”
“Actually to be not provisional is to be absolute by definition”
“Agamben's self-appointed task, always by definition provisional, is to forge another route. close window”
“Please, someone tell me that isn't possible in provisional voting!!!”
“This year's provisional ballot report is also a big improvement over the fraudulent 2004 report which concealed severe errors in provisional ballot processing.”
“That the theory should remain in many respects incomplete and provisional, is in the nature of the problem which is perhaps the most difficult which has ever confronted theoretical physics.”
“The fact that I haven't really seen this picked up and run with by any other theorist probably says more about the necessity of this conceptualization than any critique I could make, but I was rather taken aback by Anderson's out-of-nowhere faith in mere prefixes as a tool-no matter how "provisional" - for arranging the most crucial terms of a terribly complex”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘provisional’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for provisional.