from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
- adj. Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- n. A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
- n. A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
- n. A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. temporary
- n. a postage stamp issued locally before an official issue is released.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of the nature of a provision; serving as a provision for the time being; -- used of partial or temporary arrangements
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Provided for present need or for the occasion; temporarily established; temporary: as, a provisional regulation; a provisional treaty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. under terms not final or fully worked out or agreed upon
Sorry, no etymologies found.