from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing strain, hardship, or distress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Difficult to endure; arduous.
- adj. Irritating, stressful or bothersome.
- v. Present participle of try.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Adapted to try, or put to severe trial; severe; afflictive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a kind to test severely or thoroughly; difficult; severe: as, a trying ordeal; trying circumstances; a color trying to one's complexion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. extremely irritating to the nerves
- adj. hard to endure
try + -ing (Wiktionary)