from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That causes physical or mental pain
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Giving pain; causing continued or repeated pain or grief; distressing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by or causing mental or physical pain; painful; distressing; of the nature of an affliction: as, an afflictive dispensation of Providence.
- Synonyms Afflicting, grievous, calamitous, disastrous, oppressive, severe, unhappy, trying.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing misery or pain or distress
Sorry, no etymologies found.