from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by undeserved bad luck; unlucky.
- adj. Causing misfortune; disastrous.
- adj. Regrettable; deplorable: an unfortunate lack of good manners.
- n. A victim of bad luck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not favored by fortune
- adj. marked or accompanied by or resulting in misfortune
- n. An unlucky person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not fortunate; unsuccessful; not prosperous; unlucky; attended with misfortune; unhappy
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not fortunate; not prosperous; unlucky; unhappy: as, an unfortunate adventure; an unfortunate man.
- Synonyms Unsuccessful, ill-fated, ill-starred, disastrous, calamitous. See fortunate.
- n. One who or that which is unfortunate; one who has fallen into misfortune or misery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unsuitable or regrettable
- adj. not favored by fortune; marked or accompanied by or resulting in ill fortune
- adj. not auspicious; boding ill
- n. a person who suffers misfortune
Sorry, no etymologies found.