from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Subjected to or marked by misfortune.
- adj. Resulting or likely to result in misfortune; inauspicious. See Synonyms at unfortunate.
- adj. Not producing the desired outcome; disappointing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. unfortunate, marked by misfortune
- adj. inauspicious
- adj. having ill luck
- adj. bringing ill luck
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not lucky; not successful; unfortunate; ill-fated; unhappy.
- adj. Bringing bad luck; ill-omened; inauspicious.
- adj. Mischievous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not lucky or fortunate; not favored by fortune; unsuccessful; subject to frequent misfortune, failure, or mishap; ill-fated; unfortunate; unhappy.
- Not resulting in success; resulting in failure, disaster, or misfortune.
- Accompanied by or bringing misfortune, disappointment, disaster, or the like; illomened; inauspicious.
- Mischievous; mischievously waggish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or bringing misfortune
- adj. marked by or promising bad fortune
In fact, he appeared to suffer much more from what he termed my unlucky predicament than from his own mishaps.
On a certain unlucky night Ned met McNair at my room.
She let me alone, however; until one unlucky day – I do not mean to call it unlucky, either – when we had, as usual, compositions to write, and the theme given out was "Ruins."
- While both Friday(because Judas was thought to have been the 13th guest at the Last Supper) and 13(because it is an uneven number following the even number 12 widely considered beneficial) had independently been considered unlucky for centuries, the dark nature of Friday The 13th appears to have only originated in the West in the 19th century, possibly with Henry Sutherland Edwards' 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini wherein the date is termed unlucky!
The news of Gerard's latest dalliance will come as another blow for Jennifer, who has been dogged by the tag unlucky in love since the break-up of her fairytale marriage to Brad Pitt, who went on to have three children and adopt two others in a high profile romance with Angelina Jolie.
"We were kind of unlucky, which is part of the game," Pereira said.
A character that’s vaguely unlucky is probably pretty bland.
Then the Caliph’s sister went in to the supposed slave-girl and, when she saw her, she said, “By Allah, not unlucky is the man who hath thee in his house, were thy cost an hundred thousand dinars!”
Black, brown and other minorities, like the poor, the unemployed, the unlucky are the chief beneficiaries of this legislation.
He had been unfortunate, and had been known as the unlucky fighter.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.