American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Dark; gloomy.
- adj. Dull or dark in color.
- adj. Melancholy; dismal: a somber mood.
- adj. Serious; grave.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Dark; dull; dusky; gloomy: as, a somber hue; somber clouds.
- Dismal; melancholy; dull: opposed to cheerful.
- Synonyms Darksome, cloudy, murky.
- To make somber, dark, or gloomy; shade.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Dull; dusky; somewhat dark; gloomy.
- adj. Melancholy; sad; grave; depressing.
- v. rare To make somber, or dark; to make shady.
- n. obsolete Gloom; obscurity; duskiness; somberness.
- adj. lacking brightness or color; dull.
- adj. grave or even gloomy in character
- From French sombre ("shady, gloomy"), from Spanish sombra ("shade, dark part of a picture, also a ghost"), probably from Latin *subumbrare, from sub ("under") + umbra ("shade"). (Wiktionary)
- French sombre, from Old French, from *sombrer, to cast a shadow, from Late Latin subumbrāre, from Latin sub umbrā, in shadow : sub, under; see sub- + umbrā, ablative of umbra, shadow. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Keeping his expression somber, he waited for the polite applause to die down.”
“His voice was warm, but his expression somber, and Riker feared Deanna was probably right about more bad news.”
“That was much the same thing Torre told players in what he described as a somber clubhouse once the Dodgers had filed in by mid-afternoon.”
“Kool J sighed and answered the question in somber fashion.”
“Hayward reiterated his decision to leave Butler at a May 7 news conference that was characterized by a somber tone.”
“While we remain somber and dazed by the unfortunate turn of events in the finance world, we will welcome applicants with open arms.”
“They placed a floating floral wreath on each and stood in somber silence.”
“As he watched Chase, his brother turned to him, his expression somber, thoughtful.”
“Rather than give much further elucidation of this plaintive essay written for Esquire in somber post-flapper days, this person has the facts and history.”
“Doe enlisted the great Neko Case to help out on one song, and Doe's love of Case's Blacklisted record is apparent: like that (amazing!) disc, Forever is heavy on moody reverb, doused in somber imagery and full of unexpected bursts of energy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘somber’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Adjectives meaning dark (in color)
List of most of the words I've learned
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for somber.