American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a funeral.
- adj. Appropriate for or suggestive of a funeral; mournful: funereal gloom.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characteristic of or suitable for a funeral; hence, mournful; dismal; lugubrious; gloomy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Suiting a funeral; pertaining to burial; solemn. Dark; dismal; mournful.
- adj. suited to or suggestive of a grave or burial
- From Latin funereus + -al. (Wiktionary)
- From Latin fūnereus, from fūnus, fūner-, funeral; see funeral. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The readings of the first nocturn of Tenebrae are from the Lamentations of Jeremiah and have, in our rite, a special and distinctive "funereal" chant.”
“Morale is low or even "funereal," according to some people who speak regularly with employees of the companies.”
“He devoted days and nights to a kind of funereal bureaucracy, inevitable even under the fire of the enemy.”
“Dr.maworks staff sifted through several hundred resumes and head shots provided by a New York casting clearinghouse in quest of an actor possessing the mature, "funereal" quality Hayes wanted for Dr. Rank in A Doll's House.”
“Top hedge fund managers 'funereal' in midst of financial crisis”
“As an Aussie, despite the funereal attitude of most cricket fans here, I enjoyed seeing England play the pants of our team.”
“My daughter and I went to a local largebox store yesterday, and the atmosphere was funereal because the HCR bill passed.”
“Fanfare sounds erupt over funereal pulses broken into by choppy keyboard figures.”
“The Diplo-produced Beat of My Drum hinted at her leftfield ambitions; the slower, funereal I and the heartbreaking fame parable Sticks + Stones sounded grownup, introspective and happily odd.”
“There are photographs of funereal stock-in-trade monumental grave sculptures — mostly limp angels with oversized wings.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘funereal’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
These are words that have a certain beauty about them and a gentleness on the tongue.
words wot i already knew
she's such a joy.
Looking for tweets for funereal.