American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Full of or covered with clouds; overcast.
- adj. Of or like a cloud or clouds.
- adj. Marked with indistinct masses or streaks: cloudy marble.
- adj. Not transparent, as certain liquids.
- adj. Open to more than one interpretation.
- adj. Not clearly perceived or perceptible.
- adj. Troubled; gloomy: His future at the company is cloudy.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Overcast with clouds; obscured by clouds: as, a cloudy day; a cloudy sky.
- Consisting of a cloud or clouds; of the nature of a cloud.
- Obscure; dark; not easily understood.
- Having the appearance of gloom; indicating gloom, anxiety, sullenness, or ill nature; not open or cheerful.
- Marked with spots or areas of dark or various hues, or by clouding or a blending of light and shade or of colors.
- Wanting in luster, brightness, transparency, or clearness; dimmed: as, a cloudy diamond.
- adj. Covered with or characterised by clouds; overcast.
- adj. Not transparent or clear.
- adj. Uncertain; unclear.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Overcast or obscured with clouds; clouded; as, a
- adj. Consisting of a cloud or clouds.
- adj. Indicating gloom, anxiety, sullenness, or ill-nature; not open or cheerful.
- adj. Confused; indistinct; obscure; dark.
- adj. Lacking clearness, brightness, or luster.
- adj. Marked with veins or sports of dark or various hues, as marble.
- adj. lacking definite form or limits
- adj. (of liquids) clouded as with sediment
- adj. full of or covered with clouds
- cloud + -y (Wiktionary)
“He has his own theory that negative feedback from water vapor in cloudy regions will reduce the effect.”
“Rooster Tail spinners are also great for bass and crappie in cloudy water, and I have caught several fish with them.”
“The companies solar products are specially designed to work well in cloudy conditions such as those seen in Europe.”
“Nadal and Djokovic set up their expected semifinal clash at the French Open on Tuesday with straight-sets quarterfinal wins in cloudy, rainy weather.”
“Ah, the news value of 8 'of partly cloudy is priceless.”
“To see how Sun Sensors performed in cloudy weather, we left the stickers out on a hazy, humid day a few hours before a thunderstorm struck.”
“More importantly the book and movie nurtured a primal fear we all have of unseen things in cloudy waters.”
“The plastic Grappler Shad has a similar action, casts better for distance, and (unlike the Shad Rap) has rattles, which could help bass locate it in cloudy water.”
“The day was what photographers call cloudy-bright, turning toward mid-afternoon into fitful sunshine.”
“But Eleanor's thoughts went back to the thunderstorm, and her need then first felt of an inward sunshine that would last in cloudy times.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cloudy’.
In this area of expertise nouns are frequently used as adjectives (almond, bacon, cider, diesel, fennel, fresh-cut hay, wool) or new adjectives are formed (appley, berrylike, citrusy, full-bodied, ...
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
We owe our current names for clouds to Luke Howard. Wikipedia tells us that "Howard was not the first to attempt a classification of clouds—Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744–1829) had earlier proposed a ...
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
nubilous; nebulous; nubilose
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words used to describe mud and associated things.
Looking for tweets for cloudy.