from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Full of or covered with clouds; overcast.
- adj. Of or like a cloud or clouds.
- adj. Marked with indistinct masses or streaks: cloudy marble.
- adj. Not transparent, as certain liquids.
- adj. Open to more than one interpretation.
- adj. Not clearly perceived or perceptible.
- adj. Troubled; gloomy: His future at the company is cloudy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Covered with or characterised by clouds; overcast.
- adj. Not transparent or clear.
- adj. Uncertain; unclear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Overcast or obscured with clouds; clouded; as, a cloudy sky.
- adj. Consisting of a cloud or clouds.
- adj. Indicating gloom, anxiety, sullenness, or ill-nature; not open or cheerful.
- adj. Confused; indistinct; obscure; dark.
- adj. Lacking clearness, brightness, or luster.
- adj. Marked with veins or sports of dark or various hues, as marble.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Overcast with clouds; obscured by clouds: as, a cloudy day; a cloudy sky.
- Consisting of a cloud or clouds; of the nature of a cloud.
- Obscure; dark; not easily understood.
- Having the appearance of gloom; indicating gloom, anxiety, sullenness, or ill nature; not open or cheerful.
- Marked with spots or areas of dark or various hues, or by clouding or a blending of light and shade or of colors.
- Wanting in luster, brightness, transparency, or clearness; dimmed: as, a cloudy diamond.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking definite form or limits
- adj. (of liquids) clouded as with sediment
- adj. full of or covered with clouds
He has his own theory that negative feedback from water vapor in cloudy regions will reduce the effect.
Rooster Tail spinners are also great for bass and crappie in cloudy water, and I have caught several fish with them.
The companies solar products are specially designed to work well in cloudy conditions such as those seen in Europe.
Nadal and Djokovic set up their expected semifinal clash at the French Open on Tuesday with straight-sets quarterfinal wins in cloudy, rainy weather.
Ah, the news value of 8 'of partly cloudy is priceless.
To see how Sun Sensors performed in cloudy weather, we left the stickers out on a hazy, humid day a few hours before a thunderstorm struck.
More importantly the book and movie nurtured a primal fear we all have of unseen things in cloudy waters.
The plastic Grappler Shad has a similar action, casts better for distance, and (unlike the Shad Rap) has rattles, which could help bass locate it in cloudy water.
The day was what photographers call cloudy-bright, turning toward mid-afternoon into fitful sunshine.
But Eleanor's thoughts went back to the thunderstorm, and her need then first felt of an inward sunshine that would last in cloudy times.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.