American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Marked by the presence of haze; misty: hazy sunshine.
- adj. Unclear, confused, or uncertain: I have only a hazy notion of what she wants. I'm a bit hazy on the new budget.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Opaque with haze; obscured by light fog or smoke; dull; misty: used with reference to the state of the atmosphere, or to atmospheric effects, as in a picture: as, a hazy morning; a hazy landscape.
- Lacking distinctness; obscure; vague; confused: applied to thought and expression: as, a hazy reasoner; a hazy proposition.
- adj. Thick with haze; somewhat obscured with haze.
- adj. Not clear or transparent.
- adj. Obscure; confused; not clear; as, a hazy argument; a hazy intellect.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Thick with haze; somewhat obscured with haze; not clear or transparent.
- adj. Obscure; confused; not clear
- adj. filled or abounding with fog or mist
- adj. indistinct or hazy in outline
- haze + -y (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“His most recent memories seemed to be of lying on a trolley in the Landau Clinic, while technicians prepared him for the scan — on the face of it, a bad sign — but he'd been overwrought, and he'd spent so long psyching himself up for “this”, that perhaps he'd forgotten coming home, still hazy from the anaesthetic, crashing into bed, dreaming …”
“Bad hires for unqualified/unethical people in hazy but very expensive positions such as Norris Lozano for the infamous New Markets Tax Credit program”
“Certainly the ranks of the Communist Party was purged as was the Soviet Officer Corps, but all is referred in hazy percentages.”
“At one point, Clinton walked in hazy sunshine down Gran Avenida, a busy commercial street lined with thousands of people, including schoolchildren in blue and white uniforms, many of them chanting “Clinton, Clinton.””
“In this case, though, what she is becoming is lost in hazy metaphors of? out of darkness and into the sun.?”
“More hazy is the percentage of tickets that land on the secondary market, sold by lottery winners, coaches and other insiders to brokers, who resell them at four-figure markups.”
“Looking beyond the near-to-medium term hazy outlook caused by the European sovereign debt crisis or patchy growth in the U.S., investors are fairly focused on stock ideas that come with a growth story," said Song Seng Wun, a Singapore-based economist at CIMB.”
“Actually I figured you already new pretty much everything I had to say and were keeping your response short - albeit the humorous "hazy" - for lack of time.”
“Just imagine the “challenge” it would have been for the NDP to keep their promises worth several times that amount [I recall a hazy figure in my mind, but without a link I don't want to be caught writing untruths].”
“Can anyone still recall the hazy afterglow following the presidential election -- that orgy of premature self-congratulation about suddenly becoming a "post racial" society?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hazy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
In this area of expertise nouns are frequently used as adjectives (almond, bacon, cider, diesel, fennel, fresh-cut hay, wool) or new adjectives are formed (appley, berrylike, citrusy, full-bodied, ...
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
favorite sounding words
These are some words I didn't know when I read and now I want to know!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
Words that make me feel cozy
Either words that sound cute, mean the word cute or ddescribe something cute.
My Favourite Kind
Words that lend to the dark and dreary atmosphere of gothic literature.
Looking for tweets for hazy.