American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to or resembling a shadow.
- adj. Full of or dark with shadow. See Synonyms at dark.
- adj. Lacking distinctness; faint.
- adj. Lacking substance; unsubstantial.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of, causing, or affording shadow or shade; shady; hence, dark; gloomy.
- Faintly representative; typical.
- Like a shadow; hence, ghostlike; unsubstantial; unreal; obscure; dim.
- Indulging in fancies or dreamy imaginations.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of shade or shadows; causing shade or shadow.
- adj. Hence, dark; obscure; gloomy; dim.
- adj. Not brightly luminous; faintly light.
- adj. Faintly representative; hence, typical.
- adj. Unsubstantial; unreal.
- adj. lacking clarity or distinctness
- adj. filled with shade
- adj. lacking in substance
“Mr Obama has consistently railed against what he called "shadowy groups with harmless-sounding names", even using his 2010 State of the Union address to attack the Supreme Court for allowing their creation.”
“The government witness Atef Shafik, a senior language analyst for the FBI, made the argument that Muslims using common phrases that refer to peace and God are terrorists because the phrases reveal that they are Islamists, and this makes them part of the Muslim Brotherhood, which he described as a shadowy anti-Israel organization that calls for the destruction of the Western civilization from within, in order to replace it with an Islamic society.”
“Are you going to suggest that talent is best served in shadowy corners of the industry?”
“' Are you going to suggest that talent is best served in shadowy corners of the industry? '”
“The less fortunate sleep in shadowy doorways, oblivious to noise through the mechanics of sniffed [...]”
“The story, though shadowy, is starting to form in my head, as are the protagonists and antagonists.”
“The less fortunate sleep in shadowy doorways, oblivious to noise through the mechanics of sniffed thinner.”
“We show perhaps a little snippet from a Web site that we call a shadowy Islamic Web site, but actually, it's out there.”
“He tends to operate behind the scenes, but his money stands tall, front and center, usually showing up in what some call shadowy organizations that pay for negative political advertisements that attack candidates who don't share his staunchly conservative, and pro-business values.”
“We'd sit around the magazine guffawing at the ludicrous stories that kept sprouting, but belief in shadowy neocon influence has now hardened into common knowledge.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shadowy’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Words that make me feel cozy
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Just a list of words I like
My favorite words associated with darkness.
Looking for tweets for shadowy.