American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Created in the fancy; unreal: a fanciful story.
- adj. Tending to indulge in fancy: a fanciful mind.
- adj. Showing invention or whimsy in design; imaginative. See Synonyms at fantastic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Led by fancy rather than by reason and experience; subject to the influence of fancy; whimsical: applied to persons.
- Opposed to real.
- Dictated or produced by fancy; appealing to or engaging the fancy; characterized by capricious aspects or qualities; curious: applied to things: as, a fanciful scheme; fanciful shapes.
- Synonyms Imaginative, visionary, capricious, eccentric.
- Fanciful, Fantastic, Grotesque, chimerical, wild. Fantastic and grotesque may be applied to persons or to things, but grotesque to persons only when indicating outward appearance. That which is fanciful is odd, but not beyond the point of pleasing; that which is fantastic goes beyond that point, suggesting an unregulated or half-crazy fancy: as, the fantastic notions or dress of a lunatic. That which is grotesque carries fancy so far as to be unnatural, absurd, a combination of incongruous parts, a travesty upon the real or proper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of fancy; guided by fancy, rather than by reason and experience; whimsical.
- adj. Conceived in the fancy; not consistent with facts or reason; abounding in ideal qualities or figures
- adj. Curiously shaped or constructed.
- adj. not based on fact; unreal.
- adj. indulging in or influenced by fancy
- adj. having a curiously intricate quality
- fancy + -ful (Wiktionary)
“Or a place in which the fanciful is allowed to commingle with reality.”
“And she saw that Pitt, while he was enthusiastic and eager, and what she called fanciful, always was true, honest, and firm in what he thought right.”
“My husband was no believer in what he termed my fanciful, speculative theories; yet at the time when his youngest boy and myself lay dangerously ill, and hardly expected to live, I received from him a letter, written in great haste, which commenced with this sentence:”
“I have to admit that I like certain fanciful ideas, and some of these I sort of entertain with just a little more than fictive suspension of disbelief for the sake of a good story, despite their being rather more mystical than my materialist instincts.”
“Industrial parks surrounding Hermosillo contain fanciful buildings that feature companies like this Mattel assembly plant.”
“My husband was no believer in what he termed my fanciful, speculative theories; yet at the time when his youngest boy and myself lay dangerously ill, and hardly expected to live, I received from him a letter, written in great haste, which commenced with this sentence: Do write to me, dear S —, when you receive this.”
“We must separate the fanciful from the real, or at least make the one subservient to the other.”
“On the High Line, the incongruous delight of strolling through a leafy glade three stories above the roaring traffic's boom is made more piquant by the omnipresence of buildings crowded close to both sides of the walkway, especially at those points where it passes beneath a towering new structure and shoots straight through a cavernous old one, recalling the fanciful multilayered Manhattan imagined by illustrators for the turn-of-the-twentieth-century journal King's Views of New York.”
“But look in the corners, in the cracks, look at all those societies that are not industrial, not market-driven, and still very much a part of this world, that have evolved ontologies which you would call fanciful, but the parallels they have with the most advanced rational thought are not to be brushed aside lightly.”
“It offended him both as a lawyer and as a lover of the sane and customary sides of life, to whom the fanciful was the immodest.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fanciful’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words ending with -ful
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Words encountered on daily basis while reading blogs,newspapers,magazines and books.
There's nothing more to this list, really.
The Velvetine Ruffians
Looking for tweets for fanciful.