American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Difficult or impossible to understand or comprehend; unintelligible: incomprehensible jargon.
- adj. Impossible to know or fathom: incomprehensible mysteries.
- adj. Archaic Having no limits; boundless.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not to be comprehended or comprised within limits; illimitable.
- Not to be comprehended or understood; that cannot be grasped by the mind.
- That is incomprehensible which may be known or believed as a fact, but of which the mode of existence or of operation, or of coming to pass, cannot be understood.
- n. A thing or being that cannot be circumscribed within limits or that cannot be grasped by the intellect.
- adj. impossible or very difficult to understand
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not capable of being contained within limits.
- adj. Not capable of being comprehended or understood; beyond the reach of the human intellect; inconceivable.
- adj. incapable of being explained or accounted for
- adj. difficult to understand
- From Latin incomprehensibilis. (Wiktionary)
“And that is really what they call the incomprehensible demoralization and humiliation of alcoholism and that ` s usually what happens right before you hit bottom.”
“The report said there was a lack of an appropriate response which it describes as "incomprehensible " in light of "the association's history of internal fraud" in recent years.”
“February 19th, 2009 at 10: 08 am actually, don, it was the progressive labor faction that spoke in incomprehensible jargon, although your basic point about the weather underground – upper-middle class kids playing at revolution – is true.”
“When you pass between my eye and an object, the object disappears, but so unusual and incomprehensible is its disappearance that it seems to me as though my eyes had blurred.”
“Isaac was very dear to him; but God, in incomprehensible ways, was yet dearer.”
“And in incomprehensible ways they are made glad by the earth smells and sights and sounds which their blood has not forgotten though unremembered by them.”
“The universe begins and ends in incomprehensible riddles.”
“The part that I really find incomprehensible is that it's not always the same spot that gives me trouble.”
“Traffic stopped and started in incomprehensible ways, following signals lost to me.”
“Not only do they make the Treaty incomprehensible but they make it available only in incomprehensible French.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘incomprehensible’.
Words to describe art of the Romantic Era
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words associated with the macabre & horror.
( open list, randomness )
compartmentalisation, compartmentalization, counterrevolution..., counterrevolutionary, electroencephalogram, electroencephalog..., electroencephalog..., electroencephalog..., electroencephalog..., electroencephalog..., institutionalisation, institutionalization and 634 more...
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
You ever try to read someone who can't be read? What is he thinking? What is he going to do? Whose side is he really on?
Want to express the abstract, the emotional, the mystical and ineffable? Try indicating that which cannot be said with these esoteric words!
Looking for tweets for incomprehensible.