American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having hidden meaning; mystifying. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
- adj. Secret or occult.
- adj. Using code or cipher.
- adj. Biology Tending to conceal or camouflage: cryptic coloring.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hidden; secret; occult.
- n. The art of recording any discourse so that the meaning is concealed from ordinary readers.
- In biology, serving to conceal or fitted for concealing an organism.
- adj. Having hidden meaning.
- adj. Mystified or of an obscure nature.
- adj. Involving use of code or cipher/cypher.
- adj. zoology Well camouflaged; having good camouflage.
- n. informal A cryptic crossword.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Hidden; secret; occult.
- adj. incomprehensible to those not familiar with the culture or jargon.
- adj. having a secret or hidden meaning.
- adj. having a puzzling terseness.
- adj. not evident; unrecognized.
- adj. written in a code or cipher.
- adj. of an obscure nature
- adj. having a secret or hidden meaning
- adj. having a puzzling terseness
- From Late Latin crypticus, from Ancient Greek κρυπτικός (kruptikos), from κρυπτός (kruptos, "hidden"), from κρύπτω (kruptō, "to hide"). Also see: cryptology. (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin crypticus, from Greek kruptikos, from kruptos, hidden, from kruptein, to hide. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Here are a couple of verses written in cryptic rhyme from some of my currently published books.”
“I call it cryptic rhyme because I write short, clipped, descriptive verses that paint vivid, concise pictures using almost no full sentences.”
“I bring it to you vintage wine in a bottle new its in Hindi cryptic on cue shot at my house by a friendly camera crew giving a devil his bejeweled sartorial due”
“You have more guts than I do because I remain cryptic on my blog but you and I are in the same place.”
“Good: [begin cryptic] Am getting the coolest of all possible presents.”
“My Mesdames communicated with each other in cryptic ways, but after all my years in their company I was privy to their keys.”
“Although T.Q.D.'s recent songs have lightened up a bit compared with older lyrics that he described as "cryptic," almost all of "Taketh Away" addresses topics from love to day-to-day struggles in a serious tone.”
“That's called 'cryptic foreshadowing,' " Ashley gasped.”
“In the forests the endemic species include, for example, a new genus and species only named a few years ago called the cryptic warbler (Cryptosylvicola randrianasoloi), the yellow-browed oxylabes (Crossleyia xanthophrys), and the brown emutail (Dromaeocercus brunneus).”
“When you must converse with others, you speak a cryptic language of acronyms decipherable only by another geek.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cryptic’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Grateful credit to pterodactyl and http://reocities.com/SoHo/Studios/9783/phond1.html.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
Looking for tweets for cryptic.