from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lying under or beneath something: underlying strata.
- adj. Basic; fundamental.
- adj. Present but not obvious; implicit: an underlying meaning.
- adj. Taking precedence; prior: an underlying financial claim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. lying underneath
- adj. basic or fundamental
- adj. implicit
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lying under or beneath
- adj. Fundamental; basic
- adj. Implicit; not immediately obvious; requiring careful scrutiny to discover.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying beneath or under; supporting; fundamental: as, underlying principles; specifically, in geology, noting a formation, rocks, or strata lying below others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. located beneath or below
- adj. being or involving basic facts or principles
- adj. in the nature of something though not readily apparent
Sorry, no etymologies found.