American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. present participle of die1.
- adj. About to die: dying patients.
- adj. Drawing to an end; declining: in the dying hours of the legislative session.
- adj. Done or uttered just before death: a dying request.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of expiring; loss of life; death.
- Physically decaying; failing from life; approaching death or dissolution; moribund: as, a dying man; a dying tree.
- Mortal; destined to death; perishable: as, dying bodies.
- Drawing to a close; fading away; failing; languishing: as, the dying year; a dying light.
- Given, uttered, or manifested just before death: as, dying words; a dying request; dying love.
- Pertaining to or associated with death: as, a dying hour; a dying bed.
- adj. Approaching death; about to die; moribund;
- adj. Declining, or drawing to an end.
- adj. Pertaining to the moments before death
- adj. stand-up comedy Failing to evoke laughter from the audience.
- adj. Experiencing strong desire
- n. plurale tantum Those who are currently expiring, moribund.
- n. The process of approaching death; or, less precisely, death itself.
- v. present participle of die.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. In the act of dying; destined to death; mortal; perishable.
- adj. Of or pertaining to dying or death
- n. The act of expiring; passage from life to death; loss of life.
- adj. in or associated with the process of passing from life or ceasing to be
- n. the time when something ends
- adj. eagerly desirous
- die + -ing (Wiktionary)
“It's just awful for a young women and mother to be dying so young (which, of course, does not mean it's not awful for all others in the same or similar situations - that should go without saying). i feel sorry that a young person is going to die, but she courts the media so should expect the stick. * jade goody: dying* only on living! the irony”
“I don't think you should stick pins when you're dying -- _dying_! ”
“Give us a break Sarah, Nobody wants to kill off Grandma but services like Hospice care for the dying is a very important component of health care and helps families cope with the end of life issues that come up when Grandma is dying.”
“But on the other hand, my grandmother dying is another once-in-a-lifetime event, and I'm essentially abandoning my mother to deal with it alone.”
“My stomach gave an involuntary lurch at the word dying, but I tried not to show it.”
“Supposing, Andrew, that I did "cross over" -- I believe that's what you call dying, -- that I _did_ want to come back to see how you and the little Katie and Frederik were getting on, how do you think I could manage to do it?”
“He also wrote out himself what he called his dying request to his children, in case he should die before his brother.”
“I wasn't even sure what the word "dying" meant anymore….”
“Anything the Simons can do to cut the cost of production puts them ahead of the game in what they call a dying industry.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dying’.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Very basic words for ESL students.
An ode to apples. I am much indebted to 'Wild Apples' which, though probably not likely to change your life and improve your productivity at the sausage factory, will enthrall you with half an hou...
An obnoxious and ridiculous madlib list where verbish '-ing' words fill in the blank wherein the blank is a call for a beating.
"You're ________in' for a brus...
I used to sing this as a lullaby to my spawn—till said spawn grew big enough to understand the words, and asked me to sing something else.
Written by Eric Bogle, c. 1971.
By Eric Bogle.
Well, how'd you do, Private Willie McBride,
D'you mind if I sit down here by your graveside?
I'll rest for a while in the warm summer sun,
Everything I've ever held an interest in.
By the Pogues, on their CD "Red Roses for Me."
Hello boys I've been away
On a bit of a holiday
To the land where the rivers freely flow
And the cattle roam on the wil...
Looking for tweets for dying.