from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of deteriorating or declining.
- n. Biology A return to a less complex or more primitive state or stage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deterioration or decline to a previous state
- n. A return to a less complex condition
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of retrograding, or going backward; retrogradation.
- n. Backward development; a passing from a higher to a lower state of organization or structure, as when an animal, approaching maturity, becomes less highly organized than would be expected from its earlier stages or known relationship. Called also retrograde development, and regressive metamorphism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of going backward; retrogradation.
- n. In astronomy, same as retrogradation.
- n. In biology, backward development; degeneration; retrograde metamorphosis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. returning to a former state
- n. passing from a more complex to a simpler biological form
Sorry, no etymologies found.