from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An action, as of a law, that influences or applies to a prior time.
- n. An opposing or reciprocal action; a reaction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any action that has an influence due to a past event
- n. An opposing action; a reaction
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Action returned, or action backward.
- n. Operation on something past or preceding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Action which is opposed or contrary to the preceding action; retrospective reference.
Sorry, no etymologies found.