from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reversion to a former type or ancestral characteristic.
- n. See atavism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a reversion to an earlier stage of development
- n. an organism that has characteristics of a more primitive form
- n. atavism
- n. a person similar to an ancestor, or something new similar to what already existed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the reappearance in an organism of characteristics of an earlier ancestral type; atavism.
- n. an organisms having characteristics of an earlier ancestral type.
- intransitive v. to revert to an ancestral type or character.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Anything which acts as a setback; specifically, a person who or thing which causes another to seem inferior by contrast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. throw back with a quick, light motion
- adj. characteristic of an atavist
- n. a reappearance of an earlier characteristic
- n. an organism that has the characteristics of a more primitive type of that organism
Sorry, no etymologies found.