from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to return or revert.
- adj. Characterized by regression or a tendency to regress.
- adj. Decreasing proportionately as the amount taxed increases: a regressive tax.
- adj. Of or relating to geological regression.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That tends to return, revert or regress.
- adj. Whose rate decreases as the amount increases.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Passing back; returning.
- adj. Characterized by retrogression; retrogressive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Passing back; returning: opposed to progressive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of taxes) adjusted so that the rate decreases as the amount of income increases
- adj. opposing progress; returning to a former less advanced state
Sorry, no etymologies found.