from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, causing, or characterized by rotation: a rotary muscle.
- adj. Occurring or proceeding in alternation or succession.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, pertaining to, or causing rotation
- adj. alternate or successive
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Turning as on an axis; rotary.
- adj. Going in a circle; following in rotation or succession.
- adj. Producing rotation of the plane of polarization. See the Note under polarization.
- n. A rotifer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or effecting rotation; turning or causing to turn about or upon an axis or support; relating to motion from or about a fixed point or center: opposed to reciprocatory.
- Going about in a recurrent series; moving from point to point; following in succession: as, rotatory assemblies.
- In zoology, rotatorial or rotiferal, as a wheel-animalcule.
- In anatomy, causing rotation: as, a rotatory muscle.
- n. In zoology, a rotatorian or rotifer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic or causing an axial or orbital turn
Sorry, no etymologies found.