from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various minute multicellular aquatic organisms of the phylum Rotifera, having at the anterior end a wheellike ring of cilia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many minute aquatic multicellular organisms, of the phylum Rotifera, that have a ring of cilia resembling a wheel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Rotifera. See Illust. in Appendix.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name-giving genus of Rotifera, based upon a species called R. vulgaris, and now placed in the family Philodinidæ, including forms which swim or creep like a leech, and have a forked, jointed, telescopic foot.
- n. Hence [lowercase] One of the Rotifera (which see); any wheel-animalcule.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. minute aquatic multicellular organisms having a ciliated wheel-like organ for feeding and locomotion; constituents of freshwater plankton
From New Latin Rotifera, phylum name : Latin rota, wheel; see rota + Latin -fer, -fer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)