from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking a backbone or spinal column; not vertebrate.
- adj. Of or relating to invertebrates: invertebrate zoology.
- n. An animal, such as an insect or mollusk, that lacks a backbone or spinal column.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An animal without vertebrae, i.e. backbone.
- adj. Lacking a backbone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Destitute of a backbone; having no vertebræ; of or pertaining to the Invertebrata.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not vertebrate; having no backbone; specifically, of or pertaining to the Invertebrata. Also invertebral, invertebrated.
- Figuratively, flaccid, as if from lack of a backbone; wanting strength, firmness, or consistency; weak; nerveless.
- n. An invertebrated animal; any one of the Invertebrata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any animal lacking a backbone or notochord; the term is not used as a scientific classification
- adj. lacking a backbone or spinal column
Sorry, no etymologies found.