from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous invertebrate animals of the phylum Arthropoda, including the insects, crustaceans, arachnids, and myriapods, that are characterized by a chitinous exoskeleton and a segmented body to which jointed appendages are articulated in pairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An invertebrate animal of the phylum Arthropoda, characterized by a chitinous exoskeleton and multiple jointed appendages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Arthropoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A jointed invertebrate animal with jointed legs; one of the Arthropoda.
- Arthropodous; pertaining to or having the characters of the Arthropoda.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. invertebrate having jointed limbs and a segmented body with an exoskeleton made of chitin
From the diminutive to the rather large, something for fans of invertebrates, Hurdia victoria, a half-meter long predatory arthropod from the famous Cambrian-aged Burgess Shale of British Columbia.
Researchers who have had the chance to see the amazing fossil say that the only thing you need to investigate the arthropod is a microscope.
The team has so far recorded 100 different arthropod species, but Rust said they expect to find more, some of which are likely to be close relatives of animals in Africa and Madagascar.
Fossil hunters find 150kg of amber in Gujarat province containing over 700 arthropod specimens
Thomas Hardwicke's collection included arthropod drawings with precise details, such as this tarantula by an artist only known as J.
It seemed to be to be about a foot long (probably six inches), it's arthropod feet scuttling along the floor, humping it's multiple legs in a nasty fashion.
He ditched me for an arthropod but I'm almost over it ...
Far more satisfying was the Howard Wolowitz/Sheldon Cooper showdown over whether their captured arthropod was Toby the common field cricket or Jiminy the snow tree cricket.
I surmised this expiring unfortunate was being readied for implantation onto the thorax of an ultra-large arthropod, and so his eyes seemed to suggest as he went down in struggle.
Coarsely printed woodcuts demonstrated of travelers rent and dying after an onslaught of arthropod monsters surmounted by cruel, angry men.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.