from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous invertebrate animals of the phylum Arthropoda, including the insects, crustaceans, arachnids, and myriapods, that are characterized by a chitinous exoskeleton and a segmented body to which jointed appendages are articulated in pairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An invertebrate animal of the phylum Arthropoda, characterized by a chitinous exoskeleton and multiple jointed appendages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Arthropoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A jointed invertebrate animal with jointed legs; one of the Arthropoda.
- Arthropodous; pertaining to or having the characters of the Arthropoda.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. invertebrate having jointed limbs and a segmented body with an exoskeleton made of chitin
From New Latin Arthropoda, phylum name : arthro- + New Latin -poda, -pod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin arthropoda, from Ancient Greek ἄρθρον (arthron, "joint") + πούς (pous, "foot"). (Wiktionary)