from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See onychophoran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any onychophoran of the genus Peripatus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of lowly organized arthropods, found in South Africa, Australia, and tropical America. It constitutes the order Malacopoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of myriapods, constituting the family Peripatidæ.
- n. [lowercase] A species of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous velvety-skinned wormlike carnivorous animals common in tropical forests having characteristics of both arthropods and annelid worms
New Latin Peripatus, genus name, from Greek peripatos, walking about, from peripatein, to walk about; see peripatetic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)