from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See onychophoran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any onychophoran of the genus Peripatus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of lowly organized arthropods, found in South Africa, Australia, and tropical America. It constitutes the order Malacopoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of myriapods, constituting the family Peripatidæ.
- n. [lowercase] A species of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous velvety-skinned wormlike carnivorous animals common in tropical forests having characteristics of both arthropods and annelid worms
First a swimming lily, Stentor, a solitary animal bloom, twenty-five to the inch; Cothurnia, a double lily, and Gonium, with a quartet of cells clinging tremulously together, progressing unsteadily -- materially toward the rim of my field of vision -- in the evolution of earthly life toward sponges, peripatus, ants and man.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.